Click here to sign up to our mailing list!

Tuesday 23 April 2024

23rd April St George's Day

At home I expect there's very little done to celebrate our Patron Saint. But over here they do like a celebration.

So after a breakfast of massive strawberries (the one on the right nearly filled my bowl on it's own), we went to find out more about what goes on for St George's Day, as there was a festival going on in Roses.

For this morning's wind swept walk we were better prepared as we left our hats at home and wrapped up warm. I have also made a note in my diary for next year to pack woolly hat, gloves and scarf 😂. We can't wait until tomorrow as the wind is due to calm down.

In Catalonia (the part of Spain we're in) St George's Day is known as the Day of Books and Roses. On this day, love and literature are celebrated throughout Catalonia with books and roses exchanged (a bit of a book worm's Valentine's Day).

There were loads of book stalls all up La Rambla. It looked like the local school children were all out getting books.

Roses and heart shaped knick knacks on sale.

Then there was dancing to a very jolly band set up at the end. I was quite surprised as the dancing was more of a Greek style than we'd seen before in Spain. Maybe it's because we're in Catalonia - I'll have to see if I can find out.

This afternoon has been a bit crafty as I've sorted through my bag of materials. I'm making a card at the moment and have my crochet to work on. It seems odd having to revisit how to crochet after having a long break from crafts while we were travelling to the other side of the world. No time to knit then.

It's been lovely and sunny in the lounge all afternoon and it's heating up quite nicely out of the wind. Tomorrow afternoon we're meeting up with Friends in the Bay, the group we got involved with last year. Mini golf in Empuibrava so we're looking forward to catching up with what's going on locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment