Click here to sign up to our mailing list!

Thursday 18 April 2024

18th April Off to Spain

Up at 5.30am woken by my jungle bird song alarm sound effects. So much less jarring than a normal alarm. Not quite New Zealand birds but reminded me of waking up early near Te Anau in the rainforest to go to Milford Sound.

Once we stuffed Rolo with a few final bags we were on our way to the ferry. M20 clear (no Operation Stack in progress) and straight through passport control. Plenty of time for a coffee before boarding. 

Then I managed to mislay Ian!!! We'd finished our coffees, decided to return to Rolo and then I decided it was worth using the facilities before boarding, leaving Ian in the coffee area. Then I came out and no Ian. Not in any of the shops so I called ... no answer! No worries I thought. He must've gone back to the car.

Back to Rolo and no Ian! By which point it looked like the cars were going to start loading. More phone calls and still no answer. Luckily I have the spare car key so I got ready to move Rolo if the cars started to load. By this point I could see Ian in the distance making his way over. He'd decided on a last minute pee break and left his phone in the car!!! 

Anyway we soon boarded and settled ourselves in for the journey in the lounge. Having met a couple from Sevenoaks (just up the road) the time passed swiftly as we chatted with them.

Coming into Calais port.

As we're travelling down over 2 nights we're driving entirely on the A roads and toll free auto routes. A much more scenic route and it's enabled us to take time stopping off in places.

We had lunch in St Valley sur Somme.

A pretty medieval town with a castle on the river side.

Sheep on the beach!

When the sun was out and sheltered from the chilly breeze it was quite warm. Along the river side it was freezing!

Anyway we're spending the night near Dreus, west of Paris after about 4 hours driving. We have about 6 hours driving tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment